Filming on the public highway

Surrey is a popular place for filming and we receive numerous requests to authorise the use of the highway for filming purposes. We aim to facilitate the process wherever possible, within the constraints placed upon us by the relevant legislation.

Applications for filming on the highway must be received with the following notice before the date on which the filming is due to take place:

2 working days’ notice will be required for small applications with cast and crew under 5 people with a hand held camera

10 working days’ notice will be required for issuing a filming permit

20 working days’ notice will be required for any traffic management requests

If you would like to film on the public highway, please either complete an application form, email or call the Surrey Film Office on 020 8213 2737.

By completing the application form you are agreeing to abide by the terms and conditions

What are the terms and conditions?

Before you apply, please read the terms and conditions

You will also need to contact Surrey Police by calling them on 101 or 01483 571212. Please ask for a reference number and supply this with your application. Please also contact the relevant district/borough council, to comply with any requirements and regulations that they may stipulate.

How much does the application cost?

Surrey County Council does not currently charge for filming on the public highway, but may be subject to change

What documentation is required?

Details of scenes to be filmed / recorded.

Reference number from police and letters of agreement from other district/borough councils.

Plan showing location / storage / parking areas (including catering).

Details of any additional requirements, highlighted in the terms and conditions.

Copy of insurance certificate (a minimum of £5 million is required in respect of any one incident to cover liability against all third party risks).

Timetable detailing daily start and finish times.

Once the completed application has been received, the site will be checked for suitability, and a site meeting will be arranged if required. If areas and dates are not suitable due to roadworks, you will receive a letter giving the reasons for this.

Filming on Public Rights of Way

Surrey County Council does not require an application for filming on public rights of way, but consent should always be gained from affected landowners.

Check our interactive map to identify any routes that may be in the area of proposed filming.

Public rights of way must remain open at all times. If however, obstruction or interference to public access is unavoidable, then you will need to apply for a temporary path closure.

What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?

If you have queries, concerns or complaints about your application, you can contact us via the Surrey Film Office at or by telephone on 020 8213 2737. For further details on logging a comment, compliment or complaints please see our website.

If you have any queries, concerns or complaints about the location or safety of materials on the public highway, please either contact via the Surrey Film Office at by telephone on 020 8213 2737 or report them online directly to highways.

You may find our Surrey Film Office locations database useful when looking for locations for your production.